Vietnamese coffee is a must-try for tourists visiting Hanoi. The city offers a variety of coffee styles to suit different preferences. Here are some of the best types of Vietnamese coffee to sample in Hanoi:
1. Cà Phê Sữa Đá (Iced Coffee with Condensed Milk): This is one of the most popular and beloved coffee styles in Vietnam. It’s made with strong brewed coffee, sweetened condensed milk, and ice. The combination of sweet and bitter flavors is incredibly satisfying. Try it at any local coffee shop or street vendor.
2. Cà Phê Trứng (Egg Coffee): A unique Hanoi specialty, egg coffee is made with whipped egg yolks and condensed milk, creating a rich, creamy coffee topping. It’s often served hot but can be found iced as well. Café Giảng in the Old Quarter is famous for its egg coffee.
3. Cà Phê Đen Đá (Black Iced Coffee): If you prefer your coffee without milk, go for Cà Phê Đen Đá. It’s strong black coffee served over ice and sweetened with sugar to taste. This is a great option for those who love a robust coffee flavor.
4. Cà Phê Bạc Xỉu (Coffee with Yogurt): This interesting combination features iced coffee with a layer of sweet yogurt on top. It’s a harmonious blend of coffee’s bitterness and yogurt’s creaminess. Try it at Café Dinh on Dinh Tien Hoang Street.
5. Cà Phê Phin (Drip Coffee): Vietnamese drip coffee is made by slowly dripping hot water through a metal mesh into a glass with condensed milk or sugar at the bottom. It’s a classic way to enjoy Vietnamese coffee and can be found at almost any coffee shop.
6. Cà Phê Bệt (Sidewalk Coffee): Part of the charm of experiencing coffee in Hanoi is sitting on small plastic stools at a street-side café. Enjoy your choice of coffee while people-watching and soaking in the local atmosphere.
7. Cà Phê Chồn (Weasel Coffee): For the adventurous coffee connoisseur, Weasel Coffee is made from beans that have been eaten and excreted by civets. The beans are cleaned, roasted, and brewed into a unique and expensive coffee. It’s available at select coffee shops in Hanoi.
These are some of the best types of Vietnamese coffee to try in Hanoi, each offering a delightful and distinct coffee experience. Whether you prefer your coffee sweet, strong, creamy, or with a twist, Hanoi has a coffee style to satisfy your taste buds.